Forum

Has any priming stu…

Notifications
Clear all

Has any priming study ever been successfully replicated by an independent 3rd-party?

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Aaron Charlton
Admin
Topic starter
(@aaronbcharltongmail-com)

I found the recent Giolla et al (2022) paper compelling: [PDF] psyarxiv.com Basically their finding is that priming studies will only replicate if the original author is involved. 🤨 If they can’t be replicated, then should we keep publishing them in marketing journals? or not?

I was pointed to Many Labs 3 which replicated “metaphoric restructuring” but some are calling it an anchoring/framing study rather than a priming study. It’s the idea that you can use spatial imagery to train people to conceptualize time differently. https://osf.io/ct89g/

Topic Tags
4 Replies
garethjharvey
(@garethjharvey)

Does this depend on how tightly we define priming? A very broad definition is ‘a phenomenon whereby exposure to one stimulus influences a response to a subsequent stimulus’. Using this definition, studies which show exposure to background music influence walking speed could be conceptualised as priming, and I’m sure I’ve seen lots of replications. However, if we define priming as a memory effect, caused by spreading activation this would rule out any music tempo effects (and I can’t think of any successful replications) 

3 Replies
Aaron Charlton
Admin

@garethjharvey this is true in psychology but in marketing there tends to be a ‘willingness to buy’ or similar DV (e.g. ‘willingness to purchase’) that is 100% unrelated to the IV (e.g. individualist/collectivist prime) on its face. So it tends to be pretty clear in marketing what is a ‘priming’ study. The studies can be coded fairly easily as priming vs. not which I have done in the past and there weren’t too many studies in the gray area.

garethjharvey
(@garethjharvey)

@aaronbcharltongmail-com So would you count a study that investigated the impact of background music on walking speed in a supermarket as a priming study then? (Also could you share a link to your study/document classifying studies as priming or not).

Aaron Charlton
Admin

@garethjharvey well I think you’re right about many studies being hard to classify but I’m just saying that in marketing it’s less hard because people will test the impact of background music on willingness to purchase w/walking speed as a mediator. It’s distinguishable in marketing because it’s (a) 2 stage and (b) the DV has no obvious connection to the IV. The same can’t be said for your example. It does get messy to differentiate in psychology. Some people have complained that it’s considered priming if it doesn’t replicate and not priming if it does replicate. That is an unfair way to categorize it. But in marketing it’s usually much cleaner to distinguish between priming (2 stage manipulation) and non-priming (one-stage manipulation). When I did code priming vs non-priming that was just an exploratory effort and it’s not in a paper. I actually did it for a paper about p-hacking and found there was a lot of p-hacking in priming studies but we were already picking too many fights in that paper so my co-authors told me to let that go.

Share: